Thursday, February 6, 2020

Picture Book Winners

I'm still anxiously awaiting getting my hands on many of the picture book award winners, but there are a few that I was able to place a hold on before anyone else had time to check them out from the public library.  Three of these books won awards at the ALA Midwinter meeting last week Monday, and one of them is just so darn cute that I wish it had won an award of some sort!





Bear Came Along by Richard. T Morris, illustrations by Leuyen Pham - this is a simple story, perfect for young readers, who will enjoy reading about Bear and his friends who join him on his adventure through the forest.  Bear sets out alone, but as his adventure continues, woodland animals join in.  Who knows where his adventures will take them?  The illustrations are done in watercolor, ink, and gouache and as the story unfolds, there is more color on each page.  


My Papi Has a Motorcycle by Isabel Quintero, illustrations by Zeke Pena - Daisy loves riding her Papi's motorcycle with him after he gets home from his construction job each day.  Daisy shares the various places in her neighborhood they see as they take their ride, and author Quintero writes at book's end of Pena's ability to recreate a part of her childhood with his illustrations of the story.  I loved this book and want to sit down and read it with my nieces at bedtime, and share in the experience of talking about this delightful story.

Vamos! Let's Go To The Market by Raul the Third - written like a comic, Vamos! is the story of a trip to the market.  Raul the Third's illustrations are packed with detail and will give young readers much to look at. In addition, there is a glossary of Spanish words at the end of the book that will help increase readers' vocabulary and understanding.

These three books are award winners announced at the ALA Midwinter meeting in Philadelphia.  I loved looking at these books for the first time, knowing that they were all read and discussed and talked about a great deal before they were selected.

Not every amazing book will get attention, so I'd also like to highlight Truman as well.





Truman by Jean Reidy, illustrations by Lucy Ruth Cummins - what a sweet story about a girl and her pet turtle, Truman.  Truman misses his girl, Sarah, when she leaves one day and gets on the bus.  He hopes to find her himself, but getting out of his aquarium is difficult, and being alone in the big, dangerous world is scary.  By book's end, the two are reunited as Sarah reads Truman a story and they enjoy each others'c company.  I loved this story which is simple and makes a great bedtime story. This didn't feel any love from the awards committee, but that doesn't mean it's not worth checking out.  

I placed an order for a local elementary school earlier this week that just arrived yesterday. Now I've got another stash of picture books that are new to me that I can dive into.  Oh, how I wish I had a young child who would let me read bedtime stories to them each night!


No comments: