Thursday, December 12, 2019

Christmas Books of 2019

For years I bought my girls each a new Christmas book every year.  Some years they got the same book if it was a title I absolutely loved and wanted them to keep for forever (in retrospect I'm not sure that was the best plan since they don't seem overly attached to any of these books right now).  More often they each received a different book and at this point we have quite a collection of holiday stories.

My girls are too old (or so they say), to get a picture book each year, but I still like looking at them and luckily have nieces and nephews that I can buy some Christmas books for. 

Here are four of my favorites that were published this year:





Silent Night by Lara Hawthorne- this is a beautifully illustrated version of the song, Silent Night  that brings to life the nativity story.  Hawthorne's illustrations are beautiful and she brings diversity to each page with different shades of skin represented in the various characters


The Night of His Birth by Katherine Paterson, illustrated by Lisa Aisato - this, too, is a beautiful book as Mary examines her new baby, Jesus, taking in his little fingers, his mouth, his hair.  A beautiful story of Mary's son, that she shares with the world.

Dasher by Matt Tavares - this is a fun story about Dasher, the reindeer, and how he (and his family) came to help Santa deliver gifts on Christmas Eve.  Tavares' illustrations are beautiful and I've had many readers exclaim over them.

The Great Santa Stakeout by Betsy Bird, illustrated by Dan Santat- this story is just pure fun as a young boy tries to find a way to trap Santa so he can get a picture taken with him.  This has been an enjoyable read aloud and a book that I'm gifting to my nieces and nephews.

There are many more Christmas books that come out each year, and I've read several of them. These four are the ones I have enjoyed the most, though, and would love to pass on to young readers.

No comments: