Monday, December 2, 2019

Blast from the Past: December 2009

I love a good trip down memory lane, especially when I get to reminisce about the books I read.  Here are the highlights from ten years ago, December 2009:





Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'Easter by Lisa Patton was her first novel.  She wrote at least one more with these same characters along with a couple more books. I've loved them all. This is a great story of one woman's ability to withstand her marriage's demise while running a small hotel in snowy Vermont.  I still remember reading this book and have always looked forward to more books by Patton.

Weekends at Bellevue by Julie Holland is her memoir about working in this iconic mental hospital.  Well written and extremely interesting, I love a good memoir.

Luxe by Anna Godberson is the first in a quartet. I read the first two and although I've always planned on reading the rest, I've yet to get to them.  At this point, I am wondering if I will remember enough to carry on with the third, or if I need to go back and start over.  Beautiful dresses, romance, a fantastic historical fiction series.

Shanghai Diary by Ursula Bacon is Bacon's account of her childhood during WWII in Shanghai, China.  This is the first time I can recall thinking of more than just how Europe was affected by this war.  Fascinating.

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay was the last book I read in 2009. I remember reading it and being destroyed by the ending when we returned from a brief visit to our neighbors' that night.  A WWII novel set in France, this one will stick with me forever.

So, which of these have you read?  What were you reading back in December 2009? Last year?

1 comment:

Kay said...

I haven't read any of these, but think I've had a couple on my TBR at one time or another. Love that cover with the peach and the knitted gloves!