Thursday, August 29, 2019

TLC Book Tour: The Accidentals

It's my first week back at work with students, and with everything going on and attempting to readjust to my 4 AM alarm clock (I haven't managed a 4:30 AM workout yet this week), I needed a good novel to help me through the week.  And The Accidentals delivered.  








Gwin's novel is narrated by several different characters, and the many perspectives help round this story out.  Olivia is raising two daughters Grace and June in a small Mississippi town. She feels stuck in her role as a housewife and mother and when she discovers she is pregnant again, she has an abortion, not wanting to start over again.  This decision impacts her family forever.

June and Grace narrate much of this novel as they move through their teenage years and adulthood.  We see how unplanned pregnancy is dealt with and how women's roles change over the lifetimes of these sisters.  As children the girls were close, but as adults the two struggle as Grace feels betrayed by something June did years ago.  

There are so many layers to this family saga that this will be a great book club selection.  I loved the Southern setting, the way this book spanned several decades and how Gwin also connects her stories to different touchpoints in history.  The way women's roles - how they've changed, how they've remained the same are part of this story as well, and will lead to great discussions.


The Accidentals was sent to me to review for TLC Book Tours. All opinions, as always, are my own.



For more information on The Accidentals, visit the HarperCollins website.


1 comment:

Sara Strand said...

I have a list of books I keep for a someday book club I'm going to organize and it sounds like this is one to add to the list! Thank you for being on this tour. Sara @ TLC Book Tours