Monday, June 17, 2019

Five Star Fiction: Searching for Sylvie Lee

It's always great to have a little more leisure reading time to enjoy some good books.  Summers are the perfect time to fit in a few more books than I have time for during the school year and there are several this summer that I'm determined I'll get to before they got lost in a TBR stack.

Searching for Sylive Lee by Jean Kwok has been on my radar for a while.  I featured it in a Waiting on Wednesday post a while ago, and was excited to have Jean Kwok comment on the post.  When I saw she was signing her book at Book Expo, I knew I wanted to meet her.  

It is always a treat to meet an author, and I loved connecting with someone whose work I've loved in past (Girl in Translation is still a book I think about and it's been years since I've read it).  My only regret is not taking a picture of Jean Kwok and me (somehow I only took pictures of my daughter with various authors this year).





Searching for Sylvie Lee was also picked by Jenna Bush Hager as a Read With Jenna pick for June, which meant that I need to pick it up sooner rather than later.

Amy has always looked up to her big sister, Sylvie, finding her close to perfect. She's smart, beautiful, married with a great career.  When Amy is contacted by her cousin in the Netherlands expressing concern about where Sylvie is after she goes missing while visiting him, Amy must put aside her own fears and try to figure out what happened to her sister.

Narrated by Sylvie, Amy, and their mother, many secrets are revealed, and a much different picture of Sylvie emerges.  This novel feels like a mystery with plenty of suspense about Sylvie and what might have happened to her along with some fantastic character development and interesting people.  I loved every single page of this and having the story unfold bit by bit.  The mother narrates just a few chapters, but I especially enjoyed seeing things from both Amy and Sylvie's perspectives. 

I loved, loved, loved this newest book by Kwok, and can't wait to talk about Searching for Sylvie Lee with other readers.  

Summer is off to a great star with this five-star read.




1 comment:

Kay said...

I'm putting this one on my list to look for at the library. Sounds wonderful and a bit of a change-up for me. Glad your summer is starting off fun!