Monday, June 10, 2019

Blast From the Past: June 2009

Although I missed my blast from the past routine of posting on the first Monday of the month, I didn't want to entirely bypass June and sharing some of the great books I read back in June of 2009.  

So, I'm sharing a week late today, and hopefully will be back on schedule soon. 





Coop by Michael Perry - I've loved Perry's books since I was first introduced to his books, and the more I read that he's written, the more I enjoy them.  This one is just another slice of Perry's life which I thoroughly enjoyed.

The Girls from Ames by Jeffrey Zaslow - Zaslow shares the story of a group of women from Ames whose friendship has endured for forty years.  Interesting to me is that one of the women in the book is the sister-in-law of my neighbor.  I love reading about familiar places and making connections with the books I read.

Cheaper by the Dozen by Frank Gilbreth - this was a family read aloud one summer and I loved reading this memoir of a family of twelve children and the many hilarious stories that comes with having a huge family.

Admission by Jean Hanff Korelitz - college stories are ones I gravitate towards and this novel about Portia, a Princeton admissions counselor and the cut-throat world of college admissions is one that truly captivated me.  I also enjoyed the movie based on the book a few years later.

If I Stay by Gayle Foreman - this YA novel is one I devoured in one sitting, and still think about a decade later.  I fell in love with the narrator's voice and although I liked the second novel in this duo, the first is by far superior.

Those are five of my winners from back in June of 2009.  What were you reading ten years ago? Five? Last year?

No comments: