Monday, May 13, 2019

Monday Mini-Reviews: Mary Kay Andrews Newest Novel: Sunset Beach

Getting to curl up with a new Mary Kay Andrews latest book is a sure sign that summer is just around the corner.  I've looked forward to reading the latest novel by this author for years now. This is her 26th book (although I haven't been reading them for 26 years!), and I have read and loved every single one.






This book sucked me in from the first page.  After the death of her mother and a kiteboarding accident, Drue reluctantly moves closer to her estranged father who offers her a job at his law firm.  His new wife was Drue's middle school frenemy, Wendy, and there is tension between the two as Wendy becomes Drue's boss.

As Drue tries to renovate the cottage she inherited from her mother's parents, and make some friends in her new home, she also gets drawn in to a case of her father's.  She quickly starts investigating what really happened to a young hotel maid whose body was found in a laundry cart, hoping that what she finds will eventually lead to a bigger settlement for the victim's young daughter.

And as if that weren't already enough, when Drue is cleaning out her grandparents' attic she comes across what looks like an old police file from a missing persons case from long ago.

I love how Andrews is able to incorporate her Southern setting with such great storytelling.  I loved both the missing person story and the story of the murdered housekeeper; both were suspenseful and I had a hard time tearing myself away from Sunset Beach to go to work one morning.  

This book will no doubt be in many a beach bag this summer, and it is definitely worth spending an afternoon or two reading. Andrews has hit another home run with Sunset Beach and I'm already eagerly anticipating her next novel.

2 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

can't wait to read this one this summer; glad you enjoyed it.

Ti said...

I haven't started on my copy yet but I hope to very soon. I have to spend some time this weekend organizing my print review copies.