Monday, March 11, 2019

Monday Mini-Reviews: Mysteries and Women's Fiction

Happy Monday before Spring Break!  We've got no big spring break plans aside from a quick trip to the Mall of America, but before we can think about that, I've got a full week ahead.  Reading time might be non-existent.  

I read three great books to share with you this past week (I'm not sharing the not-so-great selections I've read):






The Lost Man by Jane Harper - I've read Harper's first two books which featured the same characters, and enjoyed them. This is a stand-alone mystery set in Australia (as were her first two books), and will be a book you don't want to put down.  Cameron Bright's body is discovered in the outback, on land near his cattle ranch. Some things seemed to have been bothering him as of late, but his familiarity with the land and the harsh environment make it hard to believe he wasn't prepared for a vehicle breakdown or some such catastrophe. What really happened near the stockman's grave?  I really, really liked this entire novel and am happy that Jane Harper's third novel was so enjoyable.

An Elderly Lady Is Up To No Good by Helene Tursten - Maud is an 88 year-old Swedish woman who takes care of problems as they arise.  She's clever and crafty and able to commit crimes without anyone suspecting her.  This novel is written in several short stories, and I enjoyed every single one of them.  The book is tiny in size but one you will want to pick up.  It was an absolute delight.  

Good Riddance by Elinor Lipman - it's been almost twenty years since I've read my first Elinor Lipman book, and while I don't read everything she's written, I've come to discover how much I really do enjoy her books.  Daphne inherits her mom's heavily annotated high school yearbook. Throwing it away, she's confronted by her neighbor who picks the yearbook out of the trash and plans to turn it into a documentary.  This is the last thing Daphne wants, especially as more secrets come to light after she attends a high school reunion to meet the class featured in the yearbook.  This is a fun story with some quirky characters that kept me entertained from beginning to end.  

And that's most of what's been keeping me busy.  I've hit a little bit of a slump recently, finishing a book and not having a plan on what to pick up next.  I've got plenty of books stacked up, but nothing feels right.  Does this ever happen to you?  I know it will eventually pass, but I've been wasting time starting books and abandoning them fairly quickly as I struggle to find my next read.

Any great books you've read recently I need to add to my TBR?

2 comments:

Kay said...

I own the Harper book and will get to it before long hopefully. I've heard good things about both the other ones and went and put them on my library wish list. It will be a while, but I don't want to forget about them. I finished reading THE SILENT PATIENT yesterday. It was pretty good, though I did guess the twist. I liked the narrators of the audio and I really enjoyed the author interview at the end. Do you have THE HUNTRESS by Kate Quinn? Another that I own and want to read before long and also THE STRANGER DIARIES by Elly Griffiths. Never run out of books though I do have those times that struggle to pick the next.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I'm glad you enjoyed, An Elderly Lady is Up to Know Good (me too). I read Good Riddance and thought it was okay but not her best. As for reading slumps, OH YES! Fortunately, it passes.