Thursday, January 17, 2019

Children's Lit: Planting Stories

Earlier this week I handed a new book club selection to my sixth grade boys. On the cover of the book (The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora by Pablo Cartaya) is the Pura Belpre Award.  And although I know that award is given to a book that shows Latinos in literature, I didn't know anything about Belpre, who the award is named after.





This is a beautifully illustrated story about Pura Belpre and how she came to work in a library in New York and share stories with others.  There is Spanish sprinkled within the story, as we learn of Belpre's contribution to the world. The text to the book is spare, but there is more detailed biography in the back.  

I loved learning about Belpre's stories that were turned into books. And as a librarian myself, I can't help but love this book and the way she made her mark on the world. 

(This book was purchased from Amazon)

No comments: