Monday, December 10, 2018

Monday Mini-Reviews: Looking For Great December Books To Finish 2018


2018 is winding down quickly.  I still have a few Christmas things to order and I need to look at my book journal where I keep track of the books I've read this past year so I can start making my lists of best reads.

I've asked a few people which books I need to grab before 2018 is over, and this is one I've been meaning to get to for a while now.






Charlotte Walsh Likes To Win is a fun and interesting story.  Charlotte is running for Senate in an election that will impact the nation because the seat is she is running to win change which political party is in control of the Congress.   She is a woman who appears to have it all. 

Her husband Max and their three young daughters have moved with Charlotte to the small Pennsylvania hometown they left and tried to forget as the campaign unfolds.  The scrutiny is relentless and Charlotte is surprised by how dirty her opponent is, all in the name of winning.

Nothing is off-limits, and Charlotte's marriage suffers as she and Max can't find time to spend together.  Life seems to be all about politics and winning - and Max and the marriage certainly are not a priority, even when they are in need of attention.  

I loved this book for many reasons. I enjoy any political story. This look at one couple's marriage was well done. I could feel myself cringe a little at some of Charlotte's choices, and at some of Max's, and yet I was really rooting for them as a couple to find a way to make it work.  I also liked that Piazza shows how brutal the world of politics is for the families that choose to be a part of that world.  

I'd happily hand this book off to a variety of reading friends.  And now I need some suggestions. What books do I need to try and read quickly before the end of 2018?

1 comment:

Kay said...

Here's what going to be my 'best of 2018' (that I read not necessarily published in...) at the end of the month (you get a special preview):

I'd Rather Be Reading - Anne Bogel
The Book That Matters Most - Ann Hood
To The Bright Edge of the World - Eowyn Ivey
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine - Gail Honeyman
Dear Mrs. Bird - A.J. Pearce
The Clockmaker's Daughter - Kate Morton
Under A Dark Sky - Lori Rader-Day
Lethal White - Robert Galbraith
The Day of the Dead - Nicci French

There are reviews of all but the Eleanor Oliphant book on my blog. :-)