Monday, November 19, 2018

Monday Mini-Reviews: Non-Fiction


I read a lot of non-fiction all year, not just in the month of November, but I will admit that this month I've been more conscious of the non-fiction books I'm picking up  - and realizing that my TBR stacks are just growing with a lot of great recommendations.

These are three I read this past week and enjoyed:






To Shake The Sleeping Self by Jedidiah Jenkins - a memoir about a young man in search of himself as he bikes from Oregon to Pategonia. This one was great for the armchair traveler in me, and I appreciated his thoughts on religion, his own sexuality, and life in general.  

Charlie Company's Journey Home by Andrew Wiest -this book focuses on both the men who were drafted and the women they left behind. I enjoyed reading portions of letters they'd written and interviews they'd given, and the way Wiest showed how war impacted the entire family, not just the men who were in Vietnam.

Betty Ford: First Lady, Women's Advocate, Survivor, Trailblazer by Lisa McCubbin- I've got a fascination with First Ladies, but I hadn't read a biography of Ford until I came across this one.  I thoroughly enjoyed the close-up view of her life and her unique position in history.

There are just so many good non-fiction books out there. I've got more to share later this week in my Non-Fiction November post and so much reading to do!


1 comment:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I haven't read any of these, even though I do like a good dose of NF from time to time. Each sounds good in their own way.