Monday, October 22, 2018

Monday Mini-Reviews: Adult Fiction

Over the past week I've picked up a few fiction books that I've raced through. I find myself finding a lot of great non-fiction books, and I've noticed the older I get, the less I read fiction. I'm not sure what that says about me, but I always like when I find some good novels to get lost in.





When Life Gives You Lululemons by Lauren Weisberger - is a fun read. It came at just the right time of the week, after a rather intense historical fiction novel I had finished.  I liked the stories of all three women: Karolina, Miriam, and Emily.  (Sadly, I didn't even realize that Emily was the same Emily as from The Devil Wears Prada....it's been years since I read that novel, but I loved it at the time).  Karolina is married to a Senator, who'd like to run for president.  Somehow she's pulled over for drunk driving with a van full of children, despite the fact that she hasn't had more than half a glass of wine.  Suddenly, she's lost her friends and her husband.  Emily comes into Karolina's life at just the right time. As the three women work together to fix Karolina's reputation, and resurrect Emily's career, there's drama involved.  

My Ex-Life by Stephen McCauley - Both David and Julie's lives are in turmoil.  David's boyfriend has left him, the carriage house he rents is being sold, and his career isn't as fulfilling as he'd like. Julie's husband has left her, her teen-age daughter is struggling, and she has had turn her house into an AirBnB to make ends meet.  Years have past since David and Julie have seen each other- they've been divorced for decades, but after Julie reaches out to David for his help with her daughter's college search, he decides to visit and the two pick up a friendship that they abandoned long ago.  I liked the way these two people found each other after years apart, and despite there not being any romance, did enjoy and appreciate each other.  This is a solid novel with interesting and believable characters.

Harry's Trees by Jon Cohen - Harry is devastated by the death of his wife, Beth. Oriana is devastated by the death of her father.  Harry ends up moving in to the woods behind Oriana's house in an effort to come to terms with the loss of his wife.  Oriana spends a lot of time in the woods, leaving candy and other small gifts for her dad.  And Oriana sees Harry as someone who is able to fix things after her dad's death.  There is something a little bit magical about this novel, which incorporates a fairy tale of it's own within it, and shows the importance of friendship.  

After three novels in a row, I picked up some non-fiction to start the week with, but I've already got my eye on several more great fiction titles that I want to get to sooner rather than later.  

1 comment:

Ti said...

Harry's Trees sounds pretty good to me. I like when the main character goes off to find him or herself, even if it's just behind the house.