Monday, September 17, 2018

Monday Mini-Reviews: Notable Non-Fiction



I love reading non-fiction. Lately I have noticed I have had to force myself away from it so that I can squeeze in some fiction reading as well.  There are just so many good non-fiction books out there - and so many things I want to know more about.

These three are all newly published and won't disappoint.









The Black and the Blue by Matthew Horace - is an inside look at the police force written by an African American policeman. He shares many stories of black men being unfairly treated by the police and it is definitely an eye-opening and disturbing look at our criminal justice system.  I know a lot of fantastic women and men in law enforcement and hearing these stories of police brutality, dishonesty, and racism takes away from all the amazing people who do their job with honor.  I'm in the middle of another non-fiction book, Sex Money, Murder: A Story of Crack, Blood and Betrayal by Jonathan Green, that has some overlap to The Black and the Blue.

The Man I Never Met by Adam Schefter - Schefter's wife was a 9/11 widow; her first husband was a Cantor Fitzgerald employee who perished in the attack on the Twin Towers.  Schefter's memoir focuses on the love story of meeting his wife and becoming a family, and also on her marriage to her first husband and how this man Schefter has never met is still a part of their lives.  This is a great tribute to Joe Maio, Sherri's first husband and a book that's easy to read and get into.

Poisoned City: Flint's Water and the American Urban Tragedy by Anna Clark - a few months ago I read What The Eyes Don't See by Mona Hanna-Attisha, a pediatrician in Flint, Michigan, who was partially responsible for uncovering the water crisis in the city.  Poisoned City is another look at the crisis in Flint, which does give a different perspective but also incorporates Hanna-Attisha and her role in exposing what the city was covering up.  I liked seeing another side to this current event, and am still working my way through the Netflix documentary on Flint.

All of these non-fiction books were great.  If you want to give non-fiction books a try these would all make great choices.


No comments: