Thursday, August 30, 2018

Newly Published: Where The Crawdads Sing

I have been waiting since I returned from vacation to tell everyone about this book.  I read this one on our twenty-three hour car ride home and suffered a book hangover afterwards. The writing is beautiful, the story fantastic.






Kya grew up in the marshes of North Carolina. Her family was poor, her father abusive, and eventually her mother left the family when Kya was young.  As time passes, Kya's siblings also leave, and she and her father eke out their existence.  Kya's life is one of solitude as she discovers the beauty of the marshes and develops a deep appreciation of her surroundings.

As she grows up, she has little to do with the people who live in the town nearby. But there are two young men who are attracted to her and who she allows herself to become close to.  

When the body of one of these men is discovered, Kya's name come up in an investigation and her solitary life draws many questions.

I loved the descriptions of the marsh. My heart broke for Kya and her lonely childhood, her desire to be loved. Owens' ability to bring closure to this portion of the story and what happened in her family was well done.  I loved the romance between Kya and Tate and the way he tried to take care of her.  

The one portion I didn't initially love was the poetry interspersed throughout the book - and then at book's end the reason for this is revealed. If you're a reader who might just skim through this portion, you may want to slow down and appreciate this part of Owens' story.

This novel will undoubtedly be one of the best books I read in 2018.  I am excited that it's now published so that I can share it with others and talk about it with them.

Who else has read this book? Thoughts? Feelings?

No comments: