Monday, July 2, 2018

First Monday in July: Blast From the Past

When I look back at the books I was reading ten years ago, I can't help but thinking how many really great books I had the pleasure of reading.  Some months are more memorable than others, in reading and in life in general.  July of 2008 was a fantastic month in books.




In The Deep Heart's Core by Michael Johnston has stuck with me because I love education books.  This memoir of Johnston's time teaching in the deep South seems almost like it should have happened a century ago, but really it wasn't long ago at all.  Definitely gets you thinking about our public education system.

The Summer of Naked Swim Parties by Jessica Anya Blau- I don't really remember anything about this book, except that I loved it (and it might be a little bit racy) , and have purchased anything Blau has written since.  The cover is absolutely perfect for a beach read.

The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton - a great book about women's friendships, historical fiction. I loved the time period it was set in, and then loved looking at the author's website which let me learn more about these characters.  Clayton was a new to me author in 2008, but I've read everything she's written since then.

Nim's Island by Wendy Orr- a great tween adventure story that I read to my girls. The movie eventually came out and we watched it, too, but the book is just a lot of fun to read- and of course better than the movie.

I Shall Not Want by Julia Spencer Fleming- this may be my absolute hands down favorite mystery series.  My only complaint is that readers wait YEARS between books.  Seeing that this was ten years ago already and there haven't been all that many books since then just makes me wonder what is taking so long!

If I were running out of books to read, I'd happily re-read any of these titles I've highlighted from 2008.

How about you? What were you reading back in July 2008? Last year at this time? Have you read any of these titles?

No comments: