Monday, June 18, 2018

Monday Mini Reviews: The First Week of Summer Reading

It's kind of amazing how many books I can get through when I don't have to go to work every day.  June is usually a month when I can fly through books.  Eventually I burn myself out and reality hits me and I see the projects I need to be working on at home. But for right now, I'm just enjoying some extra leisure time and enjoying some great books






The War Outside by Monica Hesse- this is coming out in September and although it's YA, could easily cross over to adult.  The story centers around Margot, a German from Iowa, and Haruko a girl from Colorado. Both of their families have been sent to Crystal City where they must stay until the war is over.  I've read many books about the Japanese experience in internment camps, and also the non-fiction adult book The Train to Crystal City by Jan Jarboe Russell, but this is the first YA book I've read that explores a friendship between two girls from different backgrounds in this setting.  I loved this one and am excited to give it to my older middle school readers. (My other interesting tidbit is that Hesse, who wrote Girl in the Blue Coat - also YA- wrote American Fire, a non-fiction book that made my top 10 list last year).  

The Neighbors by Hannah Mary McKinnon - is a fast read, a little bit suspenseful.  Abby and her husband Nate have a happy life together.  He was the one who rescued her from a car accident that killed her brother.  Abby has always blamed herself for her brother's death and even twenty years later hasn't really gotten over it.  When new neighbors move in - and the husband happens to be Abby's boyfriend from the time of the accident - old memories are stirred up.  Abby and Liam can't help find themselves attracted to each other again.  There are secrets that are revealed slowly and some twists I didn't see coming, making this book hard to put down.

Something in the Water by Catherine Steadman - Reese Witherspoon recently picked this as a book club selection which means it is definitely getting some press.  I thought this book started a little slowly, but it quickly became impossible to put down.  Erin and Mark are newly married and honeymooning in Bora Bora when they discover something that will change their lives forever.  Although at first they are excited - maybe even happy - with their find, they soon realize there are many secrets they must keep and they can trust no one.  Some of the time I just wanted to close my eyes because I knew there was a train wreck about to happen, but I just couldn't stop reading, needing to know what would happen to Erin and Mark.  This would be a great summer beach read, and although it is nothing like Before the Fall by Noah Hawley, the well crafted storyline reminds me of that book.

Go Ask Fannie by Elisabeth Hyde was a happy surprise. I knew nothing about this book before I started reading, and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.  Three adult siblings spend a weekend with their father at his home.  The oldest, Ruth, is checking up on their dad and his ability to care for himself. George, is taking time with his father and siblings, away from the stress of his job, and the youngest child, Lizzie, has managed to create drama by breaking up with her much older boyfriend by pouring boiling water on him and his computer.  The bickering between siblings, the way they fall back into the roles they had as children, the family dynamics - all of that is done perfectly.  The "kids" are also learning more about their mother and the night of the accident that killed her and their brother.  Hyde's book is one that will appeal to a wide audience and readers young and old will be able to relate to this story.

There are just so many great books out there that I know I won't get to them all this summer.  These four are ones that are definitely worth picking up

1 comment:

Kay said...

How fun for you to get the time to read a bunch! I'm familiar the last 3 you mentioned, but not the first one. It sounds quite, quite interesting and so thanks for telling about it.