Thursday, June 7, 2018

Book Expo 2018: The Non-Book Related Activities

Last year I attended my first ever Book Expo in New York City and as soon as I returned home my husband could already tell that this might turn into an annual event.  So, it is no big surprise that this year I once again made the trek to the Big Apple for this event.  This year it was Middle Sister's turn to go on a trip with me, and my mom and aunt rounded out our foursome.


There are plenty of Book Expo things to share (that's another post on another day), but here are some of the highlights of this year's trip that aren't Book Expo related:







The trash situation is New York is definitely notable.  I sent this picture home to my family because it is certainly a sight that is pretty common on the streets of New York.





One of the things we didn't get to last year was seeing The Statue of Liberty up close.  So, this year we made a point of taking the Staten Island Ferry one morning.  


This is as close as we got, but you can see the people lined up outside for the tours.  Even from afar it is still a spectacular sight.





We worked up an appetite on the ferry ride so a pulled pork sandwich with fries was a tasty lunch.  There is no shortage of good restaurants in New York.




Central Park 



Tavern on the Green, across from Central Park. We didn't eat there, but at least we can say we've seen this famous restaurant.





Blogger has managed to put my pictures in no order, so this is our arrival at JFK on Wednesday.




Supper at Juniors on our first night in the city.  We intended to have a piece of their cheesecake, but with a burger this big, we had no room for a dessert.




Walking around at Grand Central Station. A very busy, interesting place.  




Chloe did manage to find room for a piece of cake from Carlos' Bakery.  She's a Cake Boss watcher, so stopping there was a must.



Supper before going to see Wicked



My aunt and my mom before Wicked



A tasty pizza before Wicked




Walking on the Highline




Chloe on the Highline with a view of the city



My cousin works at Google, so this year we visited with him again.  I did a little reading on the Google office before this trip, and was told that Google places the healthy items at eye level, while placing the junk food below or out of view.  Notice the location of the bananas and the chocolate in the drawers.





Nicholas was nice enough to let us eat lunch with him and show us around the Google building.




Scooters parked at Google that workers can ride from place to place.






Do, which serves cookie dough. I tried it with Big Sister last year, so this year Middle Sister needed to check it out.





New York City




Another view of NYC from the One World Trade Center Observation Tower




Rockefeller Plaza


St. Patrick's Cathedral

So many things to see and do in this city! I feel like I've managed to do just a small little sample of things on each visit.  That means I need to come back again!  Book Expo 2019 here I come!


2 comments:

Kay said...

I'm so glad you got to go to NYC this year with part of your girl family. Looks like you guys had a great time and made lots of memories! Thanks for sharing with us and I'll look forward to your Book Expo (book-related) thoughts another day. This was perfect! :-)

Ti said...

Your aunt, in these photos anyway, looks a little bit like Mary Steenburgen.