Tuesday, May 29, 2018

TLC Book Tour: Cocoa Beach

Beatriz Williams has quickly become one of my must read authors.  While there are some books of hers I like better than others, I love historical fiction and Williams does a fantastic job of creating stories I find hard to put down.




Set in Cocoa Beach in the 1920s, I love that this book features Virginia, a minor character from A Certain Age.  Williams does a great job of incorporating characters from previous books, yet writing so that readers can simply enjoy a story without having read any of her previous work. 

Set in 1917 and 1922, we see Virginia as a nurse in World War I,  when she first meets Simon, the man she eventually marries. In 1922, Simon has just died and Virginia travels to Florida to meet with his attorney and take over the business she has inherited. Once there, Virginia begins to question whether Simon perished in the fire that destroyed his plantation home, and secrets begin to reveal themselves to her.  

There is suspense in this novel as it moves back and forth in time and Williams knows how to end chapters on a bit of a cliffhanger that kept me turning the pages.  The end of the novel ends with a bit of a question as well, something Williams will use in her next novel, The Wicked Redhead due out in March 2019.  

Williams brought Cocoa Beach to life and I loved the setting of this novel.  I love how she uses her previous books to build new stories, and I love that she so deftly moves between two time periods and connects them together so well.  

This is another winner from Williams.


Thanks to TLC Book Tours for providing a copy of this book for my review.  All opinions expressed are, as always, my own.  
For more information, visit the HarperCollins website.

3 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

This sounds like a really good summer choice; glad u enjoyed it.

Kay said...

Yes, I agree that this one sounds like a nice book for summer - with a bit of suspense. I'll watch for it!

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

Thanks for being a part of the tour!