Monday, May 14, 2018

Monday Mini-Reviews

Happy Belated Mother's Day to all the moms out there.  I had a peaceful day at home, and hosted my in-laws and mom for supper last night.  I'm ready for another week of school which gets us one week closer to summer break.

This week I read a variety of books and my top three are certainly all very different.





Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton is written in alternating time periods. Marisol goes to Cuba to scatter her grandmother's ashes and learn more about the place she left as a young woman.  While there she discovers some letters from a man her grandmother loved when they were both young - a man who worked for Fidel Castro.  This whole novel is well written and full of information about Cuba's history. I learned a lot while enjoying a fantastic historical fiction novel.

Church of the Small Things by Melanie Shankle is another of Shankle's books on life.  I listen to her podcast and read her blog, so getting to read an entire book by her just cements our friendship.  I feel like I know her and she really does a great job of writing with humor, but also in giving out some great advice with a Christian message.

The Cactus by Sarah Haywood is a debut novel that I loved.  Susan is forty-five and extremely regimented in her life.  When her mother dies leaving her inheritance to her brother and she finds herself unexpectedly pregnant, her life is upended.  It's a little hard to like Susan at first, but as the book unfolds, she will definitely grow on readers.  

All three of these are ones I would hand off to friends to read.

I've read quite a bit this past weekend, but there are still more books to be read.  Let's see what I can get through this week.

1 comment:

Kay said...

Glad you had a nice Mother's Day! And summer is coming, right? The book set in Cuba sounds interesting. Don't think I've read much about that country and I'm curious.