Monday, March 12, 2018

Monday Mini-Reviews:


It's the first official day of spring break, and I've convinced the girls to get up early so we can do a few fun things. I should have written my blog post last night, but I was in the middle of two books and was determined to finish them both.  I did, but only because I stayed up super late (which means I skipped the morning workout and will have to find time for it later).  

These three books are ones not to be missed- and definitely worth staying up late for.





Rebound by Kwame Alexander is a prequel to Crossover, which won a Newbery a few years ago.  It is amazing!  A novel in verse (of course) it is set in the late 80s and features Chuck Bell, the father to Jordan and Josh Bell from Crossover. We see him grow up, struggle in adolescence, fall in love, and eventually Alexander wraps it up with a letter Chuck has written his sons.  This could definitely work as a stand-alone novel, but I can't imagine anyone who reads this won't want to go pick up Crossover immediately.  This one's not out until April 2, but keep it on your list of titles to be looking for.

Between Me and You by Allison Winn Scotch - this is an author whose work I read all of.  She has the women's fiction/chick lit, not too fluffy/not too deep concept down, which is something I love.  In Between Me and You we meet Ben and Tatum, a couple who has it all - at least they did at one point.  Although Tatum is now famous, Ben's career is flailing and the two have grown apart from each other.  We hear their story through alternating narrators and at different parts of their lives together, eventually piecing together their love story.  Of course I was rooting for them the entire time, always looking for a happy ending.  I don't think there's anything earth shattering in this book, but I was OK with that.  It was a fun, interesting, and hard to put down book.

After You by Jojo Moyes is one of those books that I've been meaning to read since it was published.  I loved Me Before You so much that I just couldn't believe anything after it could measure up.  I will say I didn't love it nearly as much as the first book, but now knowing there is a third book, I'm excited to see where Louisa's life will go.  Moyes sets up some interesting prospects: a trip to New York, a possible love interests - in After You that can be played out in Still Me. (I'm hoping to find time for Still Me over spring break).

These were all good reads I'd hand to friends and family looking for something they can enjoy.

I'm off for a day of adventure and hope to get some reading done along the way.

1 comment:

Kay said...

I've read other books by Allison Winn Scotch and liked them very much. Didn't know she had a new one, but I'm glad to know it now. Hope you and your girls have a great week!