Monday, March 5, 2018

Blast from the Past: March 2008


Looking back to a decade ago and what I read at that point in my life is always fun.  Here are five of the books I spent part of March 2008 with.  






1.  Beautiful Boy by Daniel Sheff was a heartbreaking and beautifully written memoir where Sheff discusses his son's struggle with drug abuse.  Close to when this was published, Sheff's son, Nick, published his own memoir.

2.  Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen - I love Quindlen and read whatever she writes. This isn't my favorite of hers, but I did enjoy the story about a television personality who mutters something inappropriate into her mike (thinking it is turned off) as she goes to commercial and must face the fallout from her mistake.

3. Waiting for Normal by Leslie O'Connor - a middle grade novel that received a lot of starred reviews from various publications; Addie's mom is bipolar and Addie just wants to have a normal life that isn't full of ups and downs.

4. Standing Tall by C. Vivian Stringer- it's been a long time since Stringer was the coach of the Iowa Hawkeyes Women's basketball team, but she is the coach I remember from my childhood. She is an amazing woman and this memoir she shares experiences that have helped shape her life.

5.  Someday My Prince Will Come by Jerramy Fine - I can totally relate to Fine's obsession with the royal family.  She has taken things one step further as she actually studied in England, and she is also closer in age to William than I am and could entertain the dream of truly finding and marrying a prince.  This was a totally fun read.  

I'd stand by any of these books even now ten years later.  What were you reading back in March 2008? Have you read any of the books I've shared?

1 comment:

Tara said...

Ahhh! Rise and Shine!! What a great novel; I'm super excited about her upcoming release, even though I've heard it's nothing spectacular.