Monday, December 4, 2017

I Will Always Write Back: How One Letter Changed Two Lives


Back when I was in sixth grade, I signed up to get a pen pal.  I had various pen pals throughout my childhood, but the one I had from England is one I still keep up with today- three plus decades later.

I definitely have a soft spot in my heart for books about pen pals and I Will Always Write Back is such a heartwarming story that this is one I won't soon forget.










Caitlin and Martin were paired up as pen-pals in school. At first their letters reveal a few things about themselves to each other, but it takes a while for the two of them to develop a true friendship that runs deeper than inquiries about weekend plans and school drama.

Martin definitely has many concerns in his daily life: where he and his family will get food, how they will pay rent, if he can come up with the money for his schooling.  Caitlin's life,  by comparison, is easy.  

As the two get to know each other, Martin finally discloses to Caitlin exactly how poor his family really is. By sending $20 here and there to Martin, Caitlin is able to ease the family's financial stress considerably. But it is when her parents begin to get involved and offer support that Martin truly begins to be a part of their family - someone they have never met, but feel connected to and care for like their own.

This book made me tear up a few times.  I loved watching their friendship develop as they grew up.  I loved reading about their first meeting face to face.  I love that one person made such a difference in someone's life.

My eighth grade girls book club is reading this book now. I'm looking forward to discussing it before we break for the holidays and feel like this is a great book to end 2018 with - a story that provides hope for our world and the impact we have on others.

No comments: