Monday, October 2, 2017

TLC Book Tour: The Grown Up Guide to Teen-Age Humans

With sixteen and fourteen year old daughters (and an eleven year old daughter as well), I definitely could use any bit of advice about dealing with teenagers.  I am in the middle of these teen-age years and although I'm learning through experience, I could definitely use some professional input.





Shipp does a fantastic job of covering the many different aspects of having teenagers in the house.  (However, this book isn't only for parents. Teachers may also find it useful as would any person who deals with teens).  He shares his own experience as a foster kid and the many ways he acted out.  He includes various stories and experiences from a variety of people within this book, which makes it an easy read, and not just full of advice.  

Shipp covers a lot of ground in this book, which centers around communicating effectively with your teen and talking with them about a variety of subjects.  His basic premise is that the number one concern teens have is the lack of time they have with their parents.  Working with this premise, he finds different ways that parents can connect with their teen.  The topics he covers are all relevant for the present day as he writes about drug use, sexting, body image, screen time, cyberbullying, and many other important aspects to life with teens.

I'm keeping this book within an arm's reach. I have many more years of living with teenagers to look forward to and will definitely need to arm myself with every resource I can find.


Thanks to TLC Book for providing a copy of this book for my review.  All opinions expressed are, as always, my own.  

For more information, visit the HarperCollins website.

2 comments:

Ti said...

I'm not sure a book could help with thew dramatic mood swings we see in our house daily! I need a she-shed to escape to. One with insulation.

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

I have an almost-16-year-old in my house so this book seems quite timely...

Thanks for being a part of the tour!