Thursday, August 17, 2017

TLC Book Tour: The Quiet Child

The Quiet Child is a book that will easily grab you and leave you thinking about it long after you turn the last page.




Set in 1954, this is one of my favorite time periods to read about.  Burley's book is a mystery,  yet with great character development and it is not solely the action of the book that moves this story forward, but also the characters and their individual stories.

Brothers Sean and Danny are kidnapped one night from a store parking lot as their father is inside paying for their groceries.  A manhunt ensues with the police trying frantically to locate the boys.  Danny, who is just six years old, does not speak, which has somehow caused people in their town to view him as a harbinger of bad luck.  His own mother is slowly dying from some mysterious illness she contracted after his birth.  


I'm not a fan of the supernatural, and although there are hints of it because of Danny's lack of speech, it didn't bother me in this book.  Burley moves the story along briskly and I found myself wanting to know more about this poor family who was already suffering so much.

It was all I could do not to read ahead, and I hope that people who pick this book up will also resist the urge.  The ending is well worth the wait.  

Thanks to TLC Book Tours for providing a copy of this book for my review.  All opinions expressed are, as always, my own.
For more information visit the HarperCollins website.

1 comment:

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

I never skip to the ending but I often to find myself reading frantically because I simply HAVE to know how everything is going to turn out. I'm sure I'd be that way with this book!

Thanks for being a part of the tour.