Wednesday, June 7, 2017

TLC Book Tour: Weird In A World That's Not

Romolini had me from the first paragraph.  I laughed out loud, chuckled to myself, and rolled my eyes more than a few times while reading this memoir/career guide.





Synopsis taken from Amazon:

An honest, sharp-witted, practical guide to help you get and keep the job you want—from an outsider whose been there and done it, a woman who went from being a broke, divorced, college dropout to running some of the biggest websites in the world.
Jennifer Romolini started her career as an awkward twenty-seven-year-old misfit, navigated her way through New York media and became a boss—an editor-in-chief, an editorial director, and a vice president—all within little more than a decade. Her book, Weird In A World That’s Not, asserts that being outside-the-norm and achieving real, high-level success are not mutually exclusive, even if the perception of the business world often seems otherwise, even if it seems like only office-politicking extroverts are set up for reward.
Part career memoir, part real-world guide, Weird in a World That’s Not offers relatable advice on how to achieve your dreams, even when the odds seem stacked against you. Romolini helps you face down your fears, find a career that’s right for you, and get and keep a job. She tackles practical issues and offers empathetic, clear-cut answers to important questions:
  • How do I navigate the awkwardness of networking?
  • How do I deal with intense office politics?
  • How do I leave my crappy job?
  • How do I learn how to be a boss not just a #boss?
  • And, most importantly: How do I do all this and stay true to who I really am?
Authentic, funny, and moving, Weird in a World That’s Not will help you tap into your inner tenacity and find your path, no matter how offbeat you are.

My Thoughts:

Although this book is chock-full of great information about how to help you in your career (and really life in general), it is also funny.  I loved it from the first page.  I wasn't necessarily looking for a book full of advice about how I could better myself professionally, but once I started reading, that didn't matter.  

Romolini writes of her own challenges and failures, using herself as an example of someone who has found success despite a less than impressive high school experience -and a rocky college one as well.  

Weird in a World That's Not reads like a memoir, so even if you aren't in the market for career advice, there is still so much to enjoy about this book.  In addition, I could see returning to this book from time to time and using it as a place to find encouragement and suggestions for how to find success.  


Thanks to TLC Book Tours for providing a copy of this book for my review.  All opinions expressed are, as always, my own.



Visit the HarperCollins website for more information.

1 comment:

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

I definitely appreciate when a book of this type is infused with humor - for me the funny parts help me remember the important parts better.

Thanks for being a part of the tour!