Thursday, April 20, 2017

TLC Book Tour: Beyond the Label


Maureen Chiquet and I really don't have much in common - at least from an initial glance.  However, as soon as I started reading, I could tell that this was someone who faced the same struggles and challenges that women the world over face on a daily basis.  She gets it.




Chiquet's book reads more like a story, beginning with some background information on her childhood, but really starting in on her first trip to France where she truly found her passion and place in the world.  

She chronicles her moves up the ladder to success in the workplace. And she also discusses honestly how that impacted her children and husband.  I could really relate to her as a mother. Even though my job doesn't take me away from my girls for extended periods of time, it is still a juggling act to get to where is needed all the time.

The title Beyond the Label encourages us to take a look at the various roles we each play.  A mother isn't necessarily someone who does the majority of parenting.  Although that is what society expects and what most think it means to be a mom, Chiquet encourages us all to look beyond the norms and find what works for us as individuals. 

Chiquet's book reminds me a little of Sheryl Sandberg's Lean In, which I read and enjoyed.  In addition to providing a good message for women who are conflicted about how they can have it all, this was also a fun inside look at The Gap and Old Navy, two stores I enjoy purchasing from.

Chiquet's Beyond the Label is a quick read and women will find much they can identify with in it.

Thanks to TLC Book Tours for providing a copy of Beyond the Label for my review.  All opinions expressed are, as always, my own.

Visit the HarperCollins website to learn more about Beyond the Label.

1 comment:

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

I hadn't heard of Maureen before this book but she certainly seems like a woman to admire!

Thanks for being a part of the tour.