Thursday, February 16, 2017

TLC Book Tour: The Runaway Midwife

I loved Patricia Harman's novel The Midwife of Hope River so much when it came out. And then I loved her second novel, The Reluctant Midwife, as well.  When I saw that her new novel The Runaway Midwife, was soon to be published, I was thrilled.  

Knowing nothing more than the title and author, I was surprised to find out that this is a stand-alone novel set in the present day.  But, upon reading it, I was not disappointed at all.





Clara Perry is a midwife who loves her job.  That is the one bright spot in her life filled with a philandering husband and grown daughter who seems to have no time for her.  When a patient that Clara was caring for dies tragically, fingers point in her direction for possible medical negligence. 

With so much going wrong, Clara decides to start over.  She assumes a new identity, relocating to Sea Gull Island, just over the US/Canada border, and quickly makes friends with a variety of locals.  

Although Clara loves her new life, she is always looking over her shoulder wondering if her past will catch up with her.  And to truly make a new start, she  may have to make peace with what sent her running in the first place.

Harman's novel was entertaining. I loved the Sea Gull Island setting and the local characters that lived in the town. I loved Clara's guts to start fresh. I loved the midwife portions of this novel, although it was not the focus.

Thanks to TLC Book Tours for providing a copy of this book to read.  All opinions expressed are, as always, my own.




For more information on The Runaway Midwife, visit the HarperCollins website.

2 comments:

Kay said...

I think I'd like this one. Will watch for it at the library.

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

I think I'd like to spend some time in a town like Sea Gull Island!

Thanks for being a part of the tour.