Every Wednesday I post a selection that I can't wait to read as soon as it is published. For those posts, I focus on adult literature....but there are tons of great kids and teen books coming out soon that I can't wait to read.
These nine books are on my radar for 2017:
1. Playbook: 52 Rules to Aim, Shoot, and Score in this Game Called Life by Kwame Alexander - due out February 14, 2017 - a non-fiction book that I have had the pleasure of reading already - a GREAT compilation of advice for tween and teen readers
2. Once And For All by Sarah Dessen - due out June 6, 2017 - anything by Dessen is worth reading. I am always looking forward to her teen romance novels she writes
3. Over and Under the Pond by Kate Messner - due out March 27, 2017 - I love Messner's work - both fiction and non-fiction. This newest picture book will join Over and Under the Snow and Up and Down in the Garden as books that teachers and kids enjoy reading, examining and discussing
4. Yours Truly by Heather Vogel Frederick - due out January 31, 2017 - The Mother/Daughter Book Club series is one of my favorites. This is the second novel in the Pumpkin Falls mystery series by Frederick. I'm always excited to read her work.
5. Balderdash! John Newbery and the Boisterous Birth of Children's Books by Michelle Markel - due out April 4, 2017 - as a children's librarian I can't wait for this one, which relates directly to children's literature.
6. BabyMouse: Tales From the Locker: Lights, Camera, Middle School by Jennifer Holm - due out July 4, 2017 - my students go crazy for any BabyMouse book, and the fact that she is moving on to middle school is exciting.
7. Grand Canyon by Jason Chin - due out February 21, 2017 - Chin's book Redwoods was my first introduction to this author, and I haven't missed any of his work since. This is a non-fiction picture book featuring a father and daughter's visit to the Grand Canyon
8. Loving Virginia: A Documentary Novel of the Landmark Civil Rights Case by Patricia Hruby Powell - due out January 31, 2017 - a novel in verse about two teenagers (one black, one white) who fell in love in 1955 Virginia
9. We're All Wonders by R J Palacio - due out March 28, 2017 - picture book by the author of Wonder featuring Auggie and Daisy and the idea of choosing kind. I can't wait for this one!
And there you have it, folks! Nine not-to-be-missed kids books coming out in 2017. If you have any books you're looking forward to, please share!