Thursday, February 25, 2016

TLC Book Tour: Free Men



Free Men by Katy Simpson Smith is another novel by the author of The Story of Land and Sea (a novel I still have sitting on my TBR list).  




Free Men is the story of three men who come upon each other by chance. They form a friendship that would not occur in most situations in 1788, but because of their circumstances, develops naturally. Cat, a white man, Bob, a slave who is trying to find freedom, and Istillicha an Indian who has left his tribe, all come together out of need.

A fourth man, Le Clerc, is an investigator who is looking for the three men who have committed a terrible crime after an opportunity presents itself.

I am always intrigued by historical fiction novels, especially when there are real life events they are centered around.  Free Men does a great job of bringing things to life.

Smith's writing is beautiful. I often race through books, not appreciating the writing, but I found myself stopping from time to time to take note of an especially beautiful phrase or description.

This book is already receiving rave reviews, which is understandable.  I do love historical fiction, but generally read historical fiction that happens in the Civil War days or later in time, so this time period was a bit of a stretch for me personally. Even with that to consider, this book's writing and story were entertaining and easy to get into.

This is another great piece of literature from Katy Simpson Smith and I'm wondering what she will be publishing next.

I was sent this book to be a part of the TLC Book Tour. All opinions expressed are my own.

1 comment:

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

I'm pleased to see that you were able to take your time with this book and enjoy the beauty of the writing.

Thanks for being a part of the tour!