Thursday, February 11, 2016

Love Is In The Air With Harper Collins

Harper Collins made me feel loved this Valentines season, sending me a batch of new picture books to enjoy with my children.




These four new picture books have been a hit at home and would make great read alouds or gifts.

I Love You Already by Jory John and Benji Davies-  tells the story of two friends, Bear and Duck.  (These two remind me a bit of George and Martha, the hippos that I grew up reading about).  Duck wants to be friends with Bear, which means he wants to spend all his time with Bear.  Bear appears disinterested in spending any time with Duck, preferring to be by himself.  However, the two are still best friends.  This would make a great book to partner read because the dialog between the Bear and Duck is written in different fonts, making it easy to distinguish who is talking.  

Plant a Kiss by Amy Krouse Rosenthal -this one isn't exactly new; I have it in my library collection already. However, Harper Collins sent it to me in board book format which is perfect for younger readers.  The text is short, which is perfect for toddler readers, and the story is sweet.  And you can never go wrong with Rosenthal.

Pete the Cat's Groovy Guide to Love by Kimberly and James Dean - pretty much anything with Pete the Cat is guaranteed to be a hit. My students LOVE Pete.  I absolutely love this book, which is not a story, but is a book filled with quotes and sayings about love and life..  There is some great advice in this book.  I am already thinking that this will appear to my older students who are a little too old for Pete the Cat, but still love him and want to read his books.

Worm Loves Worm by J.J. Austrian, illustrated by Mike Curato - if you ever need help planning a wedding, Worm Loves Worm is a pretty good guide for what needs to be done.  Of course, the Worms have a little difficulty with following the general marriage guidelines - they have to wear their rings like necklaces because they have no fingers.  The bouquets must be attached with spider's sticky web because they can't hold them.  Despite these obstacles, the Worms find a way to be married, because after all, they are in love.

I'm excited to share these with students and predict I'll have a hard time keeping them on my shelves.  

Thanks to Harper Collins for providing review copies. The opinions expressed, are as always, my own.

No comments: