Monday, August 3, 2015

The Gratitude Diaries

My mom has been keeping a gratitude journal for years now - long before it became popular.  It is always something I think I should try as well, although my attempts have been short lived since in a busy schedule that seems to be one of the first things I forget.




Janice Kaplan's latest book, The Gratitude Diaries: How a Year Looking on the Bright Side Transformed My Life is a bit memoir a bit self-help, giving details about Kaplan's own journey with developing an attitude of gratitude.  

Within this book, there are sections focusing on marriage, love, and family, material possessions, health, and friendship.  In each portion Kaplan gives her own personal experiences with being grateful and ways she was able to apply this new outlook to her life.  

While most of what Kaplan is saying is very common sense, it isn't always easy to have the attitude of gratitude.  Practical ways to develop this in yourself (and your children) are shared.  

I appreciated every word of this book.  Although I already know that material possessions do not equal happiness, it was nice to read it again.  Kaplan has done her research and can also provide some justification for her suggestions.

This is a book I will be recommending to many people.  And, even though you may feel happy and grateful without reading The Gratitude Diaries, I believe this is a book for everyone, and everyone will be able to find something in it to take away and apply to their own lives.


No comments: