Thursday, October 16, 2014

Enzo Races in the Rain

Harper Collins has sent me another great picture book: Enzo Races in the Rain by Garth Stein.

At first I questioned how much I needed another cute dog book, but after reading it to Little Sister, I realized that it doesn't really matter that there are other cute dog books out there. She still loved this one.



Enzo became famous for the book written by Garth Stein, The Art of Racing in the Rain, which was then written at a child's level -a junior novelization.  Now, we see Enzo again in this new picture book.

Enzo explains that although he is a dog, he feels like a person. People don't understand his barks, even though Enzo is trying to tell them something.  However, when he meets Zoe, the two have a connection. She quickly brings her new puppy home, and Enzo is excited to be loved and have a home on a farm. However, Enzo is a runner, much like a race car driver.  His running sends him on an adventure to the city that isn't safe or fun. 

And then suddenly he remembers Zoe, and heads back home, where he finds Zoe tearfully hoping he will return.

R. W. Alley's illustrations help make this book so enticing.  Although I notice illustrations, I have no skill in this area myself.  I was impressed while reading in the copyright information that the illustrator used pen, ink, pencil, watercolor, gouache, acrylics, and coffee spills on paper to create the pictures in Enzo.  The result is worth it.

Enzo is a title I will be adding to my school library.  Thanks to Harper Collins for allowing me to review this book.  As always, although I did receive a complimentary copy from the publisher, my thoughts are my own.

No comments: