Thursday, May 15, 2014

President Taft Is Stuck in the Bath

The number of new books that have come into my hands this school year has been astounding. Some of them have just been updating of old classics (new copies of the Berenstain Bears, for example), but there have been many others that are new and fun that I couldn't wait to share.  


President Taft is Stuck in the Bath by Mac Barnett, illustrated by Chris Van Dusen, was a winner of a read aloud. My students love "real" books, and this one fit that bill.  They also enjoyed the entertaining illustrations, as more and more people entered Taft's bathroom trying to help him get unstuck.


My students had a bit of background knowledge about Taft already.  They knew he had a bathtub built especially for him, and this story just added more detail to what they already knew. There are historical notes about Taft and his bathtub that are shared at book's end, which I found intriguing as did my students.

Taft's Bathtub

This was a great read aloud and I had several students wanting to check it out for the week. I will happily be adding this to my own collection as well.


No comments: