Thursday, April 3, 2014

"Healthy" Eating

The Bosnian translator at our school has shared recipes and food with me from time to time.  She recognizes my attempts to eat healthy and is a healthy eater herself.  

While my kitchen was under construction she shared a recipe (and the finished product) with me that I was anxious to try.  

Healthy Cookies

1 1/4 c old fashioned rolled oats, uncooked
1/2 c flour
1/2 c wheat germ
1/2 c sesame seeds
1/4 c oat bran
1/4 c gold raisins
1/4 c finely chopped figs
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 c unsalted butter
1/2 c dark brown sugar
1/4 c sugar
1 egg
1 t vanilla
1 t grated lemon zest
1 or 2 T water (optional)

In bowl combine oats, flour, wheat germ sesame seeds, oat bran, raisins, apricots, baking powder, and salt. Stir.

In large bowl with mixer beat butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Add egg.  Blend. Add vanilla and lemon zest and mix.  Add oats mixture. Mix well.  Add water if needed.

Drop dough by tablespoon onto non-stick cookie sheet. Flatten slightly. Bake in 375 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.  Let cool 3 minutes on pan.

* Can add flax, cranberries, chopped nuts, or other fruit items as desired.



My initial reaction to these cookies was not that I loved them. I did, however, think that by replacing the figs, apricots and raisins with foods I enjoy, I might like them more.  I have only made these once so far and have used a dried berry mixture as the fruit item.  I am still going to play around with this recipe.  The grocery store didn't have any sesame seeds, so I replaced it with flax this time. I am going to keep my eyes open for sesame seeds and perhaps even add some walnuts next time.

As for these being "healthy" - they are a healthier option than a chocolate chip cookie, perhaps. But I did note there is still sugar and butter in this recipe, and the cookies do still taste sweet.

No comments: