Friday, December 6, 2013

Winner Winner Split Pea Soup Dinner

I haven't had split pea soup in what is literally forever. It is not one of my go-to recipes, yet it is something that I remember eating as a child- and even enjoying.

Picture taken from allrecipes.com

For whatever reason - probably the conversation with my sister-in-law where we discussed making one soup for each week and rotating around these 6-7 recipes for our families to eat off of every week- I decided that I needed to give split pea soup a try.  

The recipe I used was extremely easy, and I only had to purchase dried peas and ham in order to make a batch of soup for the family.  I didn't have marjoram, which the recipe called for, and I didn't use any, either.  So far I think my version tastes just fine without it.

Split Pea Soup

2 1/4 cups dried peas
cubed ham
2 quarts cold water
salt
pepper
1 diced onion
carrots
2 diced potatoes

Soak dried peas in 2 quarts of cold water overnight.

Add ham, salt and pepper and diced onion.  Simmer for 1 1/2 hours after bringing to a boil.

Add potato and carrot and continue to cook for 30-40 minutes.

I like the ham in split pea soup, but am toying with the idea of adding bacon next time. I love bacon, and what recipe couldn't be improved with a bit of nice, crispy bacon?

My husband and I have been the only takers on this meal, which is one I need to make a bit more often.

1 comment:

Ti said...

I love split pea soup. Especially if made with a ham bone form Honeybaked! Did you know that they sell the bones if you need one?

I made potato cheese soup which tasted great but had the consistency of mashed potatoes since I didn't had the additional 4 cups of heavy cream that it called for. Good lord that is a lot of cream.