Thursday, December 26, 2013

The Year of Billy Miller

Winter break is a perfect time to attempt to catch up on some reading.  Although I will never truly catch up, I can at least devote a little more time each day to leisure reading.  

Yesterday was a truly lazy day, me lying around for part of it, reading.  As I was looking through my shelves, The Year of Billy Miller by Kevin Henkes grabbed my attention.  I pretty much love everything Henkes does and this book is no exception.

This book is perfect for readers looking for a good story about a second grade boy. Billy is worried that second grade will be too hard for him. His parents both reassure him as does his teacher, but Billy has to experience the challenges of second grade for himself before he sees that the adults were right, and he can be confident in his own ability.

Dealing with his little sister, Sal, reciting poetry from memory at school, making a diorama for a school project - all these things help make Billy's second grade year memorable and a little bit more grown up and responsible.

Henkes has managed to capture what it is like to be a second grade boy, and shares the experiences through Billy Miller.  

I loved reading this to myself, but can't wait to book talk it at school,and read it aloud to my girls at home.


No comments: