Monday, October 7, 2013

A Night With Doris Kearns Goodwin


I have been anticipating the Doris Kearns Goodwin speaking event that was scheduled for October 2 ever since I saw a notice in the newspaper months ago. Then I forgot about it, until a friend mentioned getting tickets on Facebook.  

I lucked out and got two of the "very few" tickets that were left just a day before the event, and went with my mom. I did ask a few co-workers, but sadly, none of them even know who DKG is. 

What a fabulous night of story-telling! Kearns Goodwin's vast knowledge about the presidents and politics is amazing.  She shared various anecdotes about Lincoln, Franklin Roosevelt, Lyndon Baines Johnson, and Teddy Roosevelt, while linking these anecdotes to the qualities that all shared that allowed them to be effective leaders.

Some of these anecdotes are from Kearns Goodwin's own experiences as a White House fellow during the LBJ administration, while others are from the lifetime she has spent researching the presidents.  

The tidbits shared helped give a glimpse into the personal lives and personalities of these influential men and the in-depth knowledge this woman possesses, made these stories fascinating and entertaining.

I have watched Doris Kearns Goodwin as a guest on the Today show and during election coverage.  What I most appreciate is her pragmatism, and her ability to present a view that is more global in perspective.  Even after listening to her speak, I could not tell you her political leanings.

If I ever have the chance to see Doris Kearns Goodwin speak again, I will definitely plan on attending.  The only downfall of the evening, was my need to get home for my girls' bedtime (and my own), instead of purchasing a copy of Team of Rivals, one of the books she authored, and standing in line to wait for an autograph.

No comments: