Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Called Again



Jennifer Pharr Davis' account of her hiking the Appalachian Trail (the AT as she calls it) is a worthwhile read. In fact, despite my lack of outdoorsy-ness, I could almost see myself enjoying hiking sometime in the near future.
Davis doesn't just hike recreationally, she is a hard-core hiker, setting trail records. Her husband, Brew, helps her on her hikes, meeting her with supplies and emotional support. This book is not strictly about Davis' hiking, but is more of a personal memoir, not necessarily chronicling the ins and outs of the actual hike.  For me, that worked well, as I enjoy memoirs and don't care as much about the technical aspects of hiking. 
Davis shares about her relationship with her husband, the friendships she developed with fellow hikers, and her quest to set the trail record, which builds in suspense as the book progresses.  
Called Again is not the first memoir I've read on this topic.  Wild by Cheryl Strayed and A Week in the Woods by Bill Bryson are two books covering this same topic.  Dirt Work by Christine Byl is a somewhat different look at the hiking, written by a trail worker.  Although I enjoyed all of these books, Called Again is the one I will be recommending to others.  I felt able to relate to the author and enjoyed her willingness to share her hike with readers- the public and personal side of it.

1 comment:

Ti said...

I think I would enjoy this one. I read A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson which was a humorous take and I read Wild by Cheryl Strayed which I absolutely hated with a passion, but this one sounds more my speed.

So weird, but the captcha code I was given to submit this comment has the word HIKE in it.