Saturday, June 1, 2013

Someday, Someday, Maybe

Lauren Graham is supremely talented. I have loved watching her on Gilmore Girls and on Parenthood.  And now...she has written a book that I thoroughly enjoyed. I am so envious!

Although nowhere have I found any indication that this book is partially autobiographical, I can't help but picture Graham herself as Franny, the protagonist.

Franny is a twenty-something struggling actor, trying to make her breakthrough into theatre in New York City.  It's 1995, and Friends and ER are the TV shows that dominate the ratings.  While Franny gave herself three years to achieve her dream, she is now down to just six months left before she goes to plan B - teaching English and marrying her ex-boyfriend from college. 

Although Clark, her ex-boyfriend, seems like a nice fellow, Franny finds herself attracted to another struggling actor, James, despite the fact that Dan, her roommate is perhaps the nicest guy in NYC.  Graham's romance/love triangle was perfect - and even though the ending is somewhat ambiguous, I have come to my own conclusions how Franny's life unfolds.

Someday, Someday, Maybe is Graham's first book -and I certainly hope not her last. I'll be recommending this one to many friends, and suggesting this as a great summer read.

1 comment:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

This is a book I've put on my wish list...I, too, love Lauren Graham in Gilmore Girls and Parenthood.

Thanks for the lovely review.