Friday, December 28, 2012

The Age of Miracles

Today I saw my sister-in-law's library books, one of which was The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker. I read this book earlier in December and meant to review it while still awaiting the dreaded 12.21.12.
Julia, a pre-teen in sunny California, awakens one morning to find the rotation of the Earth has slowed. While this doesn't at first seem dire, as the days grow in length life begins to change.  Plant life, crops, tides, and even the health of humans are all affected as there is no fix for this.  Julia is at an age where she is starting to notice boys and friendships are changing. Instead of experiencing carefree teen years, she is instead confronted with more serious issues like her mother's health problems, her parents' struggling marriage, and fear of what the future may hold for mankind.
This novel is set in what appears to be a future time not too far off from 2012.  Books like this predicting a world altered by some uncontrollable phenomenon are always a little creepy to me.  Perhaps they seem a tad too realistic.  The Age of Miracles definitely creeped me out a bit, but I appreciated Walker's ability to create such a realistic story line.  And, this is also a book that won't be quickly forgotten.  I have thought about Julia often since I turned the last page.

1 comment:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Hmmm, I have this one, but not sure whether it's for me. I hope I can appreciate it.