Monday, September 10, 2012

Love Anthony

Lisa Genova's Left Neglected was one of my favorite books last year.  I have heard nothing but rave reviews about Still Alice which is still on my TBR list, either, so I was very excited to see that Genova's third novel would be released this fall.
Love Anthony will no doubt receive positive reviews, despite the fact that I didn't fall as deeply in love with it as I did with Left Neglected.
Beth has just discovered her husband has cheated on her, leaving her alone to raise their three daughters.  She begins writing again, something she gave up when she became a wife and mother and no longer had the time to devote to her passion.
Olivia has moved to Nantucket after she and her husband have separated.  The two are still grieving over the loss of their son Anthony, whose diagnosis of autism at the age of three turned their world upside down.
As these two women alternate narrating their stories and Beth's story she is writing is also part of the novel, Beth and Olivia develop a connection that is amazing and inspiring to them both.
Although I enjoyed reading Love Anthony, this story was rather predictable and didn't have the depth of Left Neglected.  Because the bar has been set so high for Genova's books, perhaps that is why I felt a bit of a letdown. Despite the flaws I found with this book, I am sure that it will appeal to Genova's fans, and is certainly a quick and entertaining novel.

1 comment:

Gerbera Daisy Diaries said...

I loved Still Alice..and felt let down with Left Neglected...so I don't have high hopes for Love Anthony.