Saturday, June 9, 2012

Summer Reading

I can't believe that summer is flying by so quickly.  We did manage to get into the pool twice this week where I got quite the sunburn (duh me. I did put sunscreen on my children but not myself). I have been to three softball games this week and carted my kids around to other activities.  There is a class I am taking online that is feeling a bit overwhelming.  So summer reading?  Not so much. There are a few books I have read and enjoyed, but the high hopes I have had aren't really happening right now.  On Monday we are off for a week of vacation (more about that tomorrow) and will be busy for another week.

Objects of My Affection by Jill Smolinski was a fun read - perfect for the pool.  This is one book that's been on my radar for a while.  Lucy is down on her luck. Her son's in rehab. She and her boyfriend have broken up. She has just sold her house to pay for her son's treatment, and has just been hired to organize and clean out the house of hoarder-artist Marva Meier Rios.  Lucy gets more than she bargained for with her new job. Marva is not the easiest person to deal with and despite the fact that Lucy has been hired to help clean out and organize Marva's house, Marva isn't very cooperative in this effort.
Parts of this book were a bit predictable.  I wasn't surprised that Daniel, Lucy's ex-boyfriend comes back into Lucy's life or that her son Ash isn't successful at rehab.  However, Smolinski's story was fun and entertaining. Her characters were likeable.  Objects of My Affection was a great summer beach read.

No comments: