Sunday, January 8, 2012

You Know When the Men Are Gone



I'm feeling pretty good about finishing off another book from my own TBR pile. Siobhan Fallon's short story collection gives insight into a variety of military families living at Fort Hood, Texas. Fallon knows this scenario well, being a military wife herself.

Normally I am not a short story lover, but these worked for me, and are a bit connected as we see a recurring character from time to time. There is the wife who has cancer, the husband who suspects his wife of having an affair while he is gone, a wife who suspects her husband of infidelity and hacks into his email to check up on him, a foreign military wife who keeps to herself, and a wife who can't handle her husband's long absences. Just as Fallon covers a variety of likely family issues and conflicts she acknowledges there are many different family dynamics she has not written about.

I'd like to check in with these characters again, or perhaps learn a bit more about other residents of this Fort Hood community.

1 comment:

Karen Greenberg said...

Looks like a great book. I put in on my to-be-read list.