Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A Look Back

In June of 2001 I was on summer break, awaiting the birth of my first child. We didn't yet know that we would have a girl, and I was put on a diet because I was borderline for having gestational diabetes. My husband and I would stay up late into the night working on jigsaw puzzles, completing several of them in the summer months. I eventually had one framed as a Christmas present for him one year. And, of course I was reading up a storm, as well as finishing my last summer of graduate school where I spent my days with another pregnant gal in the front of the room at a table since we couldn't squeeze into the desks.




Reading highlights from June 2001 include:



The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. I always mean to read more classics, and finally did in June 2001. My good friend, Sarah, raved about this book, having read it her senior year of high school for class. I didn't love it nearly as much, but am glad I read it.
I can't believe I have "known" Kinsey Milhone for ten years. I had some catching up to do in this series, and reading several of these books in a short time frame really did help me get to know the characters in this series.
Here I thought I had never read Sarah Dessen before. Obviously I managed to read one Dessen book a long time ago. Despite remembering much of what I read, this one has not stuck with me. Guess I will have a title to add to my re-read list.
The Big Stone Gap books (there were two at the time) began for me in June 2001. Loved this book, and so began my love of Adriana Trigiani.
And, even back in 2001 I was still reading memoirs. Katharine Graham's Personal History was such a good book. I loved this one and savored each page.


What about you? What were you reading ten years ago? Do you keep track of the books you are reading?

4 comments:

Gerbera Daisy Diaries said...

I have NO idea what I was reading in 2001! But Katharine Graham's memoir is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITES!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Tina...it is fun to look back. I know I was reading the Oprah selections and James Patterson, Stephen King etc.

Anonymous said...

I went back to my lists to see what I was reading in June 2001. OK, I only read 3 books that month:

Anne Tyler's BACK WHEN WE WERE GROWNUPS (loved that one)

Carolyn Hart's RESORT TO MURDER

Jude Deveraux's THE SUMMERHOUSE (another favorite)

My daughter had just graduated from high school and I think we attended her college orientation that month. Can't think of anything else going on. It's fun to think about.

Selina said...

Wow, I have no idea what I was reading 10 years ago! I only recently (2009) started to keep track of what I read and I absolutely regret that I did not do it sooner (as in 25 years ago!).