Sunday, February 27, 2011

Shattered


Karen Robards is one of those authors whose name I have heard for years. However, up until a few days ago I had never read any of her work.

Shattered is a novel of suspense - and was very hard to put down.

Lisa Grant has come home to live with her mother who is dying of ALS. While still living at home she takes a job as a researcher with her former crush, Scott Buchanan, who the county DA. Banished to the basement to look at cold cases, Lisa comes across a file about the disappearance of the Garcia family - mother, father, and two young children- almost thirty years ago. As Lisa looks at the pictures in the file she is shocked to see that she looks nearly identical to the mother, Angela Garcia. Once Lisa begins investigating this cold case strange things begin to happen to her, and it seems that someone is out to silence Lisa for good.

There were plenty of twists and turns in this story, along with a bit of sexual tension as things heat up with Lisa and Scott. There are parts of this story that were resolved a bit too neatly, but this novel reminded me a bit of Mary Higgins Clark's books that I always enjoy. This first taste of Robards work was definitely positive, and I will be sure to look for more of her books. Lucky for me that Robards already has many published books for me to choose from.

No comments: