Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Boxes of Books

Yesterday morning when I got to work I was greeted by four large Baker and Taylor boxes sitting in our staff mailroom. Instead of blogging, or reading for a few minutes before beginning my day, I quickly threw my purse and school bag in my office, and went to retrieve my loot. I still have to process the books, but that doesn't stop me from sitting and looking at them. And as usual, a few make their way into my bag for some bedtime reading to my own children - my test audience.
Although Halloween is over, a few Halloween themed books arrived with this order, so I am hoping my students don't mind reading some books after the holiday is passed. Last night we read Even Monsters Need Haircuts by Matthew McElligott. I thought this picture book was such a cute read - not a Halloween book exactly, but a story about a boy who cuts hair for monsters, so it fits right in with the Halloween.




The First Pup: The Real Story of How Bo Got to the White House by Bob Staake is the story of how the Obamas decided to get a dog if Barack won the election and how they received their dog from Ted Kennedy. I've been waiting for this one for a while- First Dog by J. Patrick Lewis is a title that came out a while ago, discussing different types of dogs and which the Obamas might choose, but it is completely different than First Pup and was sort of a let down since I was looking for a story about Sasha and Malia getting their dog. The First Pup was a story that all of my daughters were into last night, adding bits of their own remembering to it.

Just What Mama Needs by Sharlee Glenn and illustrated by Amiko Hirao is a cute picture book about Abby, who dresses up in various disguises. One day she is a pirate - just what her mother needs. One day she is a genie- just what her mother needs. No matter the costume, Abby is always just what her mother needs. This was a great bedtime story, one my girls could participate in while smiling at the illustrations. The ending is heartwarming, too, and was just the right way to end our storytime.


Today I will take these back to work and collect a few more for bedtime tonight. I can't wait to share these with my students.






No comments: