Friday, October 15, 2010

A Secret Kept


Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay was one of my favorite books this past winter- a book so good I could barely put it down, devouring it in less than a day. I was excited to see that de Rosnay had a new book coming out this fall, A Secret Kept. After reading a few reviews, it seemed that opinions on this one were a bit mixed. I lowered my expectations quite a bit, not even sure if I should take the time for it since I am not lacking reading material.

While this book is very different than Sarah's Key, I did really, really like it. I began reading with rather low expectations, but also with a more critical eye, looking for ways that this book didn't interest some readers. And while I found a few, I also realized by book's end, how quickly I had read it and how interesting I found it.

Melanie and her older brother have always been close. To celebrate her fortieth birthday the two go away for a weekend and on the way home have a serious car accident. Melanie had been driving and just as she was about to reveal some secret she drove off the road, nearly killing them. Antoine, older by three years, is having a hard time in his own life- he is newly divorced, still in love with his ex-wife and very lonely. He and Melanie spent her birthday weekend at the place they vacationed with their family as children - up until their mother died unexpectedly and tragically in 1974. With their return trip, Antoine starts wondering about his mother - her death, her life, realizing how little he knew this woman. Family secrets are revealed all while Antoine works through his own crises.

At a few different times I felt as though I knew what type of secret would be revealed, only to be surprised or have to revise my thinking. I also was very aware of a difference in the way marital relationships are viewed and conducted which I attribute to a very European setting and author. De Rosnay's writing hooked me early on, and while there may be some questions I would ask her about why certain minor supplots were included, that would truly be nitpicking what was a very pleasurable read for me.

While A Secret Kept is very different from Sarah's Key, and perhaps not quite as suspenseful, it did entertain me and I did enjoy it a lot.

2 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Glad u enjoyed this one Tina. I wasn't thrilled by it. I do hope to read Sarah's Key sometime though.

Anna said...

Glad to hear you liked it. I've been a bit hesitant because I really liked Sarah's Key and have seen reviews calling it a disappointment in comparison. Yeah, I know I shouldn't compare 2 different books. LOL