Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sunday Salon


5:30 AM on a Sunday and I am up cooking. Today is the family birthday party for my daughters, who all happen to have fall birthdays. We used to do individual parties for them, and I don't mind that, but with all three happening in the fall, it is hard to get people to want/be able to come back for a Sunday lunch that many times so close together. Usually we grill since the weather is so good, but this year my husband and I decided to change it up a bit and we would make some different soups. (This actually means that I will make some different soups). Since we have church first, and I thought making the soup yesterday and reheating it wouldn't be as tasty (nevermind the fact that I don't have refrigerator space for this) I am now up before the crack of dawn chopping, sauteeing, browning, draining, and doing some more chopping in an effort to make three different types of soup. Of course we will have chili- my old standby that is tasty, and a bit spicy. Because it is spicy, we are also having cheeseburger soup: my daughters' favorite. And, because I have had the ingredients for several months and because my husband raved about it when I last made it, we are having black bean soup with sausage. The rest of the menu consists of different breads, a veggie tray, strawberries, chips, crackers and a sharp cheddar with apple bacon dip, beer bread with a spinach dip, and birthday cake. I don't think anyone will go away hungry. As long as I get it all made, that is. Right now I am browning meat for chili. The bean soup is simmering (for five hours!). The cheeseburger soup takes the longest to make because I have to cut so many different things.

Anyway, I will be glad to be done cooking so I can go back to reading! Hopefully when everyone leaves I can take a nap. The only other highlight to our weekend is that someone stole my husband's Garmin from his work vehicle, and all the CDs from my van. Once they realize the only CDs I have are Justin Bieber, Kidz Bop, High School Musical and Alvin and the Chipmunks I doubt they will be very impressed. Still, since it will barely meet our deductible, we will have to replace the CDs slowly. Ugh. Our neighbors' vehicles were also gone through, but the items they took from them were discarded and left by their mailbox.

I have started two different books and then discarded them midway through. Neither was very entertaining for me. I did start This Is Where We Live by Janelle Brown this morning and am enjoying it. Hopefully I can read sometime between the birthday party, church, nap, and lesson planning.

2 comments:

Capability said...

I am also looking forward to an afternoon of reading - for me it is Hiroshima in the Morning or The Elegance of the Hedgehog...I am reading them both.

Rachel said...

YUM! I think I am going to have to make soup soon! Would you mind sharing the recipe for your cheeseburger soup?