Monday, September 20, 2010

Ruby's School Walk


Ruby's School Walk by Kathryn White, illustrated by Miriam Latimer is one of several picture books I have on my review pile. This book was obtained from The Picnic Basket, and published by Barefoot Books.

Ruby's School Walk is a cute, rhyming picture book about a girl and her walk to school. Where Ruby sees lots of excitement on her walk to school with her mother, making the extraordinary out of everyday things. Her mother reassures her as Ruby meets all these "dangers," while Ruby chants "I must be brave. I must be strong."

Of course Ruby makes it to school and safety, only to continue using her imagination as she dreams of what her day may hold for her while there.

The illustrations in this book are so colorful that readers will be instantly drawn into this story. I loved the rhyming text - perfect for lower elementary students who are learning this concept, and also because it gives a rhythm to the story, making it fun to read aloud.

I can see teachers using this book as school begins to reassure their students about coming to school, and to spark a discussion on the ways people arrive at school each day, the different things that are seen on their walk to school, and the ways we can use our imagination.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What age level do you think this book is appropriate for? It looks very interesting and I would love to read it to my young toddler classroom.

Saba

Veronika said...

Hi Saba,

The book is recommended for children 4-7 years old.

It's super cute, rhymes throughout and my 2-year old can listen to the whole story in one sitting.

You young toddler classroom will probably like it too!

Best,
Veronika