Thursday, August 19, 2010

The First Day of School

Today is my first day of school with students - at least there are students who will be at school. I start library classes on Monday, so have a few days yet to prepare for them. I have been busily racking my brain trying to figure out what I want to do with each grade this fall. I know I will need to go over rules and procedures, but after five years, I don't know if I necessarily want to read the same books to each class that I have read over and over and over again.

I visited University Book and Supply last night, dragging my daughters with me. As I predicted they loved the store - so many great educational games and fun teacher stuff. My oldest daughter asked if we could come back again sometime. And I found a book that will be perfect for starting out my year: This School Year Will Be THE BEST! by Kay Winters. Each page depicts something a student is looking forward to in the upcoming school year, helping to make the year the best ever. From snow days to class pets to class plays, there is a wide variety of events these students are looking forward to.


The other random item I found at University Book and Supply that I really want to buy, but have no need for is the new Legos series: Lego Architecture featuring different famous structures in the United States like the Sears Tower, the White House, the Space Needle.

2 comments:

Library Cat said...

I love stopping by your blog because you always give me purchasing ideas for our Curriculum Materials Library - we provide materials for our preservice teachers to use for lesson plans, etc. This book looks fantastic, so I think I will put it on the list for buying this year.
And my grandsons (and me, maybe) would love the Legos!
Hope your week is grand!

Peaceful Reader said...

The book does sound great and the Legos are super-cool!